Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Memories

My last aunt passed away this week.  It is sad to realize that generation are no longer with us.  I can still vividly remember being a child and attending family reunions.  I thought it would be so boring to be a grownup and just sit around talking all day instead of being out and running around playing.  I would give anything to be able to sit and talk with them again. 

These photos were taken in August of 1959.  My family had just returned from three years in Germany.  I think this was probably the only time all the siblings were together at one time.  The picture above is my maternal grandparents with their eight children.  The next picture includes the spouses.
This last picture is the grandkids.  Three are missing, probably because they were under a year old and too small to pose. 
That's me, fourth from the left, with my arms resting on my knees (can you believe I'm a great-gramma now?).  We cousins have been reminiscing on facebook, pitching in to identify us all.  There are 18 in the photo.  There eventually were a total of 31 grandchildren.
 
Cherish your family.  Time passes all too quickly.  Now we are the "old folks, sitting around talking" instead of being outside playing and running around.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 









1 comment:

Roslyn said...

It is odd to be the oldest generation isn't it? I have no blood relatives left in my parents generation, but I think there are one or two aunts by marriage still hanging on in Australia. My Dad died2 yrs. ago at almost 101!