Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Mother is at rest



Mother passed away peacefully in her sleep early Sunday morning. Elaine and I had settled her down for the evening and since she was breathing easy, did not give her any meds to help with her discomfort. Elaine had checked on her about 2am and she was sleeping quietly, I checked on her about 5:30 and she was gone, still in the position that we had settled her in the night before. She looked so peaceful. She was an amazingly strong woman and she will be sorely missed. I am so grateful for God giving me a Christian mother.  I am so grateful that I got to spend these last two weeks with her. She took care of me for so many years, I am glad I got to return the favor. I will cherish the memory of this time for the rest of my life.
Woke up to rain this morning. It has let up temporarily, but still cloudy. This is the kind of day that I miss now that I live in Arizona. I love when rain settles in for the day, rather than passing thru in a few hours. We laid Mother to rest yesterday. It was a bright, sunshiny, warm day. Cousins came to the service and it was so good catching up with them. I am embarrased to say that I did not recognize some as I had not seen them since they were children. Where does the time go?????? We had such a good visit before the service, then again after the graveside service. We shared memories of Mother, of visits with our grandparents, of visits with each other, many memories revisited and many laughs shared. What a wonderful healing time. The church service was beautiful and the host church made us feel like family. The graveside was special and personal. It was nice being back at the church we attended when visiting our grandparents. Although none of us cousins ever lived in Kents Store (well, we did for 3 months before joining Daddy in Germany waaaaayyyy back in 1956) we have roots there. My greatgrandfather pastored the church for a time, a cousin's husband pastored the church for a time. My grandparents and now both my parents are at rest there. There is something about that area that makes even those who did not grow up there feel at home. Thank you to everyone who has prayed for us during this time. Your love and support have indeed been felt and cherished.

1 comment:

Arlene said...

My first time visiting. Just like to say I am very sorry about the passing of your mother.